k + Channels as “drugs targets” in plasmodium falciparum
1) To identify and clone K+ channels encoded in the P. falciparum genome,
2) To assess the K+ channels level of expression and visualize their cellular localization in the infected erythrocytes,
3) To perform a thorough functional analysis of the parasite-encoded K+ channels expressed in a suitable heterologous model-system,
4) To perform an extensive pharmacological screening of the cloned channel to identify suitable inhibitors, and
5) To provide "proof-of-concpet" that inhibitors of P. falciparum K+ channels can suppress parasite-growth.